Today we going to discuss on how to make your own printed circuit board (PCB). Making a home-made PCB is easy with toner transfer method. But first, let us understand more what is a PCB. A PCB is used to mechanically support and electrically connect electronic components using conductive pathways.
When do you need to make a PCB? Sometimes after we tried out the circuits for quite some times on a bread board, we might want to make it permanent without all those jumper wires. We may choose to solder it on a strip board, but making it on a PCB makes it cooler and more compact.
Step by step image guide:
– Use glove during the etching process as Ferric Chloride acid is corrosive.
– After remove the magazine paper from the board, check for the traces if there is any broken trace. You can fix it by completing the line with a marker pen.
– After clean your board with thinner, you might need to check again on your board before soldering all the parts. Check for broken traces and shorted traces.
– You can add silk screen at the top of your PCB by the same process as how you transfer your trace. Stop the step after remove the magazine paper. Do not etch your board again, your traces will be etch off completely.
– Do not simply dispose your acid. They are corrosive and react with metal. Keep it as they can still be used for your next project.
– Practice makes perfect. Try out some simple circuits and practice to make the PCB.
So now you can make your own PCB at home easily. Good luck and enjoy. 😀